Friday, September 3, 2010

Things learned on an 8 mile run...

1. Always do a test drive of a new run before actually running it...

So last night I mapped a new run on RunKeeper. 8.5 miles total. New roads I have never run on. I made the run from Gavins daycare to try something new. Did NOT do a test drive... NOT A GOOD IDEA! So for starters rt 136 is a BUSY road. Way busier then I thought it would. And there was NO shoulder. This was the first 2 miles of my run, no shoulder and lots of traffic make for a very stressful run. If I would have driven it before hand and saw that there was no shoulder then I wouldnt have ran this route. Then mid run a turn didnt look exactly like it did on the map and for a good mile or two I thought I was running the wrong way. I wasnt thank goodness.

2. Take a cell phone with you...

I dont run with a cell phone. Never have. That is changing RIGHT now. I hate running by myself but there is no real way around that. My runs are getting much much longer and that takes me into some more rural areas that do not have alot of houses. Im also running for over an hour, soon to be almost 2 hours - that is a long time so people arent really expecting me home for a while to be worried about me. Today when I thought I had made a wrong turn I was nervous. I was running and running and running and it didnt seem like I was anywhere near where my next turn to head back should be. There were minimal houses and no one outside for me to ask. And even if I got hurt or took a wrong turn and was miles and miles away from home or my car, if I asked someone to use their phone to call for a ride... I only know my husbands cell number, none of my friends cell numbers - they are all saved on my cell. So I will be adding my cell to the workout belt.

3. Check the weather before heading out...

Almost 3 miles into my run it started pouring. I dont mind running in the rain but would have liked to be prepared.

4. Be prepared to change plans...

So no my 8 mile run didnt end up being 8 miles. It ended up being just shy of 6... not shabby but not what I planned. And Im ok with that. This week I didnt get the runs in that I wanted so I hadnt really ran in 5 days. I thought I was lost the run took on this super long component and then it started raining and I cut it short. 6 miles is still awesome and Im still proud of me.

5. Its hard to plan longer runs...

Planning longer runs is difficult. You want to makes sure there arent too many turns so you dont have to think too much while your running. I personally dont like to repeat any part of the run and dont like out and back - I like a big circle so that is difficult to do once you get in the over 5 mile range. Its almost impossible to do the longer runs without hitting bigger roads. My next big run - actually 8 miles is planned again - for this coming monday. Its my house to Rachaels house - almost entirely on rt 22 but it has a shoulder. Then either she will take me home or E will pick me up.

1 comment:

  1. i might take you home, depends on how bad you smell :)

    ReplyDelete